A client recently realized that she wants to smile more. Having seen herself on a number of corporate videos and in virtual meetings, she’s made a note that when she smiles in her delivery, she conveys her excitement more naturally, is more motivating, and overall, comes off as more like herself.
Smiling naturally is a powerful way to connect with others and can positively impact how we feel as well.
Here are some suggestions to help you smile more:
- Practice smiling in front of a mirror. Notice what it looks like to others and how you feel. Memorize that feeling so you can re-create that moment.
- Put notes or a smiley-face visual around you in places you’ll see that remind you to smile (i.e., mirror at home, computer in your office, on your phone, in your car).
- Set a reminder on your phone to ping you every few hours.
- Think about smiling at everyone you see.
- As you enter video calls, ensure you’re opening with a smile. If your role has you in the office or on-site, do your best to smile through your mask. It shows in your eyes.
- Have a gratitude moment. Think, “Wow! I have a great life…….” Because you do!
As with learning any new behavior, you need to create new habits. And, if smiling more doesn’t feel genuine, don’t do it. People can spot a fake smile a mile (or foot) away.
What one suggestion might help you smile more?
Get 8 key strategies to help you lead and communicate with heart to motivate and engage your employees, drive performance and get results. Download your free copy of the eBook—8 Ways to Lead with Heart in Times of Uncertainty and Change—today.