A client recently realized that she wants to smile more. Having seen herself on a number of corporate videos and in virtual meetings, she’s made a note that when she smiles in her delivery, she conveys her excitement more naturally, is more motivating, and overall, comes off as more like herself.
Smiling naturally is a powerful way to connect with others and can positively impact how we feel as well.
Here are some suggestions to help you smile more:
- Practice smiling in front of a mirror. Notice what it looks like to others and how you feel. Memorize that feeling so you can re-create that moment.
- Put notes or a smiley-face visual around you in places you’ll see that remind you to smile (i.e., mirror at home, computer in your office, on your phone, in your car).
- Set a reminder on your phone to ping you every few hours.
- Think about smiling at everyone you see.
- As you enter video calls, ensure you’re opening with a smile. If your role requires you to wear a mask, do your best to smile through it. It shows in your eyes.
- Have a gratitude moment. Think, “Wow! I have a great life……” Because you do!
As with learning any new behavior, you need to create new habits. And, if smiling more doesn’t feel genuine, don’t do it. People can spot a fake smile a mile (or foot) away.
What one suggestion might help you smile more?
For a quick reference guide on how to stand out as a leader, download our eBook, Top 11 Attributes of Exceptional Leaders and Communicators. Or, share with a leader or colleague you know is looking to elevate their leadership impact.
Comments on this post